Havas Group Joins Forces With Indie Multicultural Agency, Republica
September 19, 2018 | By Jessica Roiz
Havas, one of the largest global advertising and communication groups in the world, based in France, has joined forces with Republica, a top U.S. independent multicultural agency located in Miami — simply put (as noted on their website): A new era begins.
Founded by chairman & CEO Jorge A. Plasencia and president Luis Casamayor in 2006 to address the “seismic multicultural and digital revolution,” Republica’s mission is to build enduring relationships between brands and people across a spectrum of cultures, traditions, and languages. Some of their brand partners include Walmart, Google, Toyota, Nielsen, and Universal Parks & Resorts.
In this new venture, Republica becomes Havas’ lead multicultural agency partner in the U.S. and has been renamed Republica Havas. With its headquarters remaining in Miami, Republica Havas has expansion plans to other key U.S. markets such as New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.
Because of Plasencia’s long ties to the music industry –the worked for many years as the public relations director for Gloria and Emilio Estefan and stars like Shakira — Republica is expected to work in multiple musical projects.
The agency will continue to be led by Plasencia, Casamayor and their executive team, and sit under the direction of Paul Marobella, chairman and CEO, Havas Creative, North America.
“Our mission as a creative agency is to ignite the businesses of the brands we work with through cultural relevance,” said Marobella in a press statement. “As such, it was important for us to find the best partner that doesn’t just understand multicultural marketing but is embedded in the fabric of different cultural communities in America — Republica is that partner.”
After making the long and tough decision, as the founders penned on the official website, one of the most exciting factors of joining forces is the new growth opportunities and many benefits they will offer their employees.
“This is the right partnership because it allows us to continue to do what we love, staying true to our culture and our people while being able to offer our deep multicultural expertise to Havas’ many agency partners,” Plasencia added in the press statement.
- The National Hispanic Public Relations Association Recognizes Republica Havas’ Jorge A. Plasencia with its Top Honor – the 2018 ¡BRAVO! Pioneer of the Year Award
- Havas Group Joins Forces With Indie Multicultural Agency, Republica
- Global marketing giant Havas and Miami-based Republica join forces
- Nace República Havas en el sur de la Florida
- Havas Group acquires stake in Republica
- Havas adquiere participación en la agencia República
- Havas Group Invests in Miami Multicultural Agency Republica
- Havas takes stake in multicultural agency República
- Havas Group invests in US-based leading multicultural marketing agency, Republica
- Republica wins big during the 2018 award season bringing home 56 honors thus far, including Cannes Lions Shortlist, Lürzers Archive, New York Festivals, one Show, and Spain’s Festival El Sol
- Member, Marketing & Advertising Global Network (MAGNET)
- Certified, Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) – National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC)
- Certified, Hispanic Business Enterprise (HBE) – United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (USHCC)
- Member, Association of Hispanic Advertising Agencies (AHAA)
- Member, American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA)
- Member, Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
- Member, Hispanic Public Relations Association (HPRA)
- Trustee, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce (GMCC)
- Member, South Florida Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (SFHCC)
- Member, Southern Florida Minority Supplier Development Council (SFMSDC)
September 12, 2018
When we set out on this journey on November 13, 2006, we had no idea what was ahead of us. We were two (younger) guys with a drive to build something great. Early on, with the help of our team members, we carefully crafted the 14 Principles that have guided Republica these 4,322 days.
And what a ride it has been!
We’ve enjoyed great triumphs and experienced heart-aching loss. We’ve been fiercely entrepreneurial and nimble and have always made an effort to give back to the community. We’ve grown, evolved, and learned from many mistakes along the way.
Our clients have been incredible. They’ve been our partners on this journey. We’ve accomplished so much with them and for them. They’ve allowed us to do groundbreaking work, and we’ve been so proud when that work has received national or global industry accolades. We are so grateful that they have chosen us.
And then there’s our team. The Republica family. Together, we’ve shared so much, including thousands of cafecitos. Many of us have been together through thick and thin for years. And others have joined us more recently. Everyone is part of the story.
Now, the story evolves. The family grows.
We’ve been approached over the years by potential suitors; including holding companies and private equity firms. We would always listen, but it never felt right. We knew that if and when we were to consider some sort of alliance it would have to be on the right terms, with the right people. We knew we would only want a partner that would allow us to keep doing what we love, yet give us a global platform to grow and scale. Maintaining our independence, our team, and our secret sauce, our familial culture, have always been paramount.
We’re beyond excited to inform you that we feel we have found that partner.
We will be joining forces with one of the world’s top marketing and communications companies, Havas. As part of this new venture, we become Havas’ lead multicultural agency partner in the United States.
You may ask why, or why now? The answer is simple. Why not. We recently reached our pinnacle, something we’d worked hard to achieve for years. We’re now Ad Age’s number one independent U.S. multicultural agency. Albeit a fantastic milestone, we can’t rest on our laurels.
As our industry experiences the most significant disruption of our lifetime, we believe that joining forces now with Havas makes perfect sense.
Havas is a global, transformational leader in creative, media, data and analytics. And its parent company, Vivendi, founded in 1835 in Paris, is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment conglomerates, also owning Universal Music Group, France’s Canal +, and Gameloft, among other major assets.
We thought long and hard about this decision.
One of the factors we’re most excited about is the new growth opportunities and many expanded benefits we’ll now be able to offer our employees.
In closing, so many people deserve our gratitude today...our families, our friends and clients, and each individual that contributed in small and big ways to this dream. You know who you are and we thank you all.
And lastly, our name. We will be known to the world as Republica Havas.
We’re now part of this greater family, and we’re so excited to begin this new chapter of our journey, together.
Jorge A. Plasencia, Chairman & CEO
Luis Casamayor, President
We collect information from you when you apply for a position on our Careers or Internships form or when you provide your information on our Subscribe function. When submitting information using these forms, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name, e-mail address, company, mailing address or phone number. You may, however, visit our site anonymously.What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To enter you into our employment or internship candidate database
- To subscribe you into our news updates
Yes (Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information.
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.Third party links
We're so honored
2018Clio Awards | Bronze
Clio Awards | Shortlist
Cannes Lions | Shortlist
One Show Merit Award
New York Festivals | 7 Finalists
25 - W3 Awards | 2 Best in Show, 10 Gold, 13 Silver
United Nations Department of Public Information Award
PRSA Bronze Anvil Award
Lüzer’s Archive | Top 15 Digital Campaigns Worldwide
2 - Festival El Sol (Spain) Awards | 2 Bronze
National ADDY Award
7 - District ADDY Awards | Judge’s Choice, 2 Gold, 4 Silver
10 - Local ADDY Awards | 8 Gold, Best of Show, Best of Category
12 - Telly Awards | 2 Gold, 8 Silver, Bronze, People’s Choice
2 - Indie Awards Shortlist (London)
2 - Webby Awards Honorees
2 - Creativepool Awards
Imagen Award - Los Angeles
20173 National ADDY Awards
15 Davey Awards, including five GOLD
10 ADDY Awards, Local/District
9 W³ Awards
8 Telly Awards
2 Communicator Awards
Cynopsis Social Good Award
Hispanicize TECLA Award for Best Agency Doing Multicultural Social Media
Digiday Award for Most Original Use of Facebook, Finalist
One Show, Sound Design, Shortlist
Communication Arts, Illustration, Shortlist
201611 ADDY Awards (3 Gold/8 Silver)
4 Telly Awards
USH Idea Award
201525 Communicator Awards (5 Gold, 20 Silver)
12 Davey Awards (2 Gold, 10 Silver)
12 Telly Awards (1 Silver, 11 Bronze)
10 ADDY Awards (3 District, 7 Local)
7 W3 Awards (Best in Show, 2 Gold, 4 Silver)
Best Marketing/PR Firm Using Tech Innovation & Social Media to Reach Latinos - LATISM
Social Media Icon - Honorable Mention - PR News
Best in Show - DTC Perspectives
Best Television Campaign (Gold) - DTC Perspectives
Best Website (Gold) - DTC Perspectives
Best Hispanic Campaign (Gold) - DTC Perspectives
Best Digital Campaign (Silver) - DTC Perspectives
Best Disease Education (Silver) - DTC Perspectives
Best Point-of-Care Program (Silver) - DTC Perspectives
201417 ADDY Awards (Gold/District, 3 Gold, 14 Silver)
11 MARCOM Awards (6 Platinum, 5 Gold)
11 Davey Awards (1 Gold, 10 Silver)
¡Bravo! Award for Best National Integrated Marketing Campaign - HPRA
Appy Award (Best Mapping/Navigation App)
Best Corporate Marketing Campaign - MM&M Awards
Best Overall Campaign - DTC Perspectives
Best Disease Education Advocacy Campaign - DTC Perspectives
Best Hispanic Health Campaign - DTC Perspectives
Best Multicultural Point-of-Care Campaign - DTC Perspectives
Best Agency Using Social Media to Reach Latinos - LATISM
20137 MARCOM Awards (2 Platinum, 2 Gold, 3 Mentions)
4 Davey Awards (Gold)
6 Telly Awards (People’s Choice Telly, 5 Bronze)
ADDY Award (Gold)
20125 Davey Awards (2 Gold, 3 Silver)
4 Telly Awards (2 Silver, 2 Bronze)
PRSA Silver Anvil Award
PRSA Silver Anvil Award of Excellence
PRSA Bronze Anvil Award
17 ADDY Awards (2 District, 15 Local)
201128 ADDY Awards (6 District, 22 Local)
201012 ADDY Awards (2 National, 3 District, 7 Local)
- 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 Advertising Age's Top U.S. Agencies From All Disciplines
- 2018 Ad Age's No. 1 Independent U.S. Multicultural Agency
- 2018, 2016, 2015 Top Places to Work in PR, PR News
- 2017 Proclamation of "Republica Day" in Miami-Dade County
- 2017, 2016 Advertising Age One of Three Top Independent U.S. Multicultural Agencies
- 2016, 2015 Top Places to Work in PR, PR News
- 2016 Advertising Age Small Agency of the Year
- 2016 Top Entrepreneurial Award "South Florida & Beyond" category - Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce
- 2015 Corporate Plus® Designation, National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC)
- 2015 Proclamation of "República Day" by the City of Miami
- 2015 Inc. 5000 Honor Roll - Five Consecutive Years on Inc. magazine 5,000 Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America
- 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 Inc. 5000 Fastest-Growing Companies in America
- 2015 Advertising Age's Top 14 U.S. Hispanic Agencies
- 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2009 South Florida Business Journal's Largest Advertising Agencies in South Florida
- 2015, 2014 South Florida Business Journal's 100 Top Private Companies
- 2014 Advertising Age's Top 15 U.S. Hispanic Agencies
- 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 South Florida Business Journal's 50 Fastest-Growing Businesses
- 2014 The Business Journal's Top 10 Agencies in Florida
- 2013 Advertising Age's Top 20 U.S. Hispanic Agencies
- 2013 The Agency Post's 100 Fastest-Growing Advertising Agencies in America
- 2013 UWire's Top 25 Public Relations Firms on Social Media
- 2013 Florida Trend magazine's Largest Advertising Agencies in Florida
- 2013 Goya Hispanic Achievement Award - U.S. Spain Chamber of Commerce - New York
- 2013, 2012, 2011 Hispanic Business magazine's Top 500 Hispanic Businesses in America
- 2013 Co-Founders Jorge A. Plasencia and Luis Casamayor named Global Agency Innovators by The Internationalist magazine
- 2013 Trailblazer - "Mad Men, Miami Style" - Fortune magazine
- 2012 Advertising Age's Top 25 U.S. Hispanic Agencies
- 2012 Voted one of top two South Florida-based firms by the readers of Daily Business Review
- 2012 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year Award®
- 2012 Miami's Ultimate CEO by the South Florida Business Journal
- 2011 National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC) Supplier of the Year Award
- 2011 Proclamation of "República Day" by Miami-Dade County
- 2011, 2010, 2009 Advertising Age's Top 50 U.S. Hispanic Agencies
- 2011 Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce CEO of the Year
- 2011 Latin Chamber of Commerce of the United States (CAMACOL) Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2011, 2009 Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce Top 100 Minority Business Awards
PRINCIPLES & FOUNDATION
- 1We strive to be authentic in everything we do.
- 2Losing money is easy to turn around, losing our reputation isn’t. We guard it above all else.
- 3We believe in talent. Talent is our key to success.
- 4We want our talent to excel and develop to their fullest potential. So we help Republica Havas' employees and partners forge a path to the success that they desire.
- 5Our talent is compensated for the value they generate, not just the hours they work. We want our clients to compensate us this way too.
- 6We believe in a team approach to our work. Dedicated client teams are at the core of our business.
- 7We value people who accept responsibility and mean it when they say: “The Buck Stops Here.” We feel that our clients need to live by this philosophy as well.
- 8We’re transparent and have nothing to hide. We act ethically and are loyal to each other and to our clients.
- 9We understand that we’re not right for every client. We will resist the temptation to work for everyone and will only choose clients that inspire us.
- 10Republica Havas focuses on creating value for clients with every move we make, every job we take.
- 11We believe in Great Work, Great People and Great Clients, which will naturally result in Great Growth. But we don’t pursue Growth by itself because it usually won’t result in Great Work, Great People and Great Clients.
- 12We will be compensated fairly for the value we provide and say no to unreasonable expectations. We’d rather turn down work than take on something that we can’t deliver at the highest level.
- 13Speaking of great work, we like the fun, exciting and fulfilling kind.
- 14Above All, somos familia. We believe in family, our own families and our Republica Havas family. Everyone contributes to the vision, goals and purpose of Republica Havas because this is the purpose of it all: To create something great and share it with the people we love.
In 2006, Jorge A. Plasencia and Luis Casamayor noisily occupied the corner booth at a Miami eatery as they hashed out plans to build a new kind of agency.
Countless caffeine-fueled conversations and strategy sessions had culminated into an important narrative: There was a seismic multicultural shift occurring in America, yet most agencies weren’t addressing it. Their challenge was to create an integrated communications firm that represented the cultural and digital revolution happening stateside and across the globe.
They founded Republica in November 2006, and in a few short years, it became one of America’s fastest-growing independent agencies.
Fast forward to September 2018, when Plasencia and Casamayor announced Republica was joining forces with Havas Creative North America, becoming the global advertising conglomerate's lead multicultural agency partner in the U.S. The agency was renamed Republica Havas.
Many of the world’s top brands trust Republica Havas as their partner to connect with the most culturally diverse, technologically-advanced consumer base in American history.
For an agency that consistently over-delivers on that promise, the sentiment of perpetual evolution and unflinching cultural relevance has created the foundation for brands to keep in lockstep with the ideals, insights and consumption habits of a general market that’s as multicultural as it's ever been. This notion is the foundation of Republica Havas' strategic mantra, "Rethink Relevant."
Built on a familial culture of caring for the community, Republica Havas continues to be recognized by client partners and the industry as a nimble, effective agency with a reputation for delivering groundbreaking, award-winning work.